Introduction to Pelvic Physiotherapy
Pelvic health physiotherapy is a specialized physiotherapy service which focuses on the pelvic region including the pelvic floor and its surrounding areas. This service can be very helpful for improving function and reducing pain as well as preventing postpartum complications.
Our registered Pelvic Physiotherapy Oakville clinic will perform a detailed assessment and diagnosis as well as develop a personalized treatment plan to address your specific condition.
Common conditions our registered pelvic physiotherapists in Oakville help with:
- Incontinence (urinary and fecal)
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Diastasis recti
- Pelvic pain
- Pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy and postpartum)
- Coccydynia (tailbone pain)
- Pudendal neuralgia
- Interstitial cystitis
- Female and Male Sexual dysfunction
- Rectal pain and dysfunction
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Anal incontinence
- Anal fissures and fistulas
- Anal neuralgia
- Rectal prolapse
Tips for preparing for your pelvic physiotherapy appointment:
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing which allows the pelvic physiotherapist to easily access the pelvic area.
- Make a list of possible questions or concerns you may have.
- Make a list of any medications you are currently taking, as well as any allergies or sensitivities you have.
- Avoid wearing oils or lotions on your skin.
- Complete the necessary online forms before your appointment.
- Upload or bring to your appointment your doctor’s note if your insurance requires one for billing.
- Upload or bring to your appointment any relevant medical documents such as X-rays or MRI if any.
- Write down any questions or concerns you have about your condition or treatment.
How to find a pelvic physiotherapy service in Oakville
Triangle Physiotherapy Oakville is located at 2501 Prince Michael Drive, unit 2 and it’s in the same plaza as Shoppers Drug Mart and Starbucks. The main intersection is Trafalgar and Dundas. There is free parking available.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is there an internal examination for my pelvic physiotherapy appointment?
Yes, please expect an internal (vaginal or rectal) examination unless your pelvic physiotherapist suggests otherwise based on your specific condition. If you are uncomfortable with it or are unable to have an internal exam, do not hesitate to discuss your concerns with your physiotherapist. They are here to help you.
2. Can I see a pelvic physiotherapist as early in my pregnancy as possible?
Yes, you can certainly see a pelvic physiotherapist as early in your pregnancy as you would like to help prepare your pelvic floor muscle and joints for delivery and address any pregnancy related issues such as back pain, incontinence and pelvic discomfort.
3. How long are the pelvic physiotherapy sessions?
Your first appointment at Triangle Physiotherapy Oakville is an hour long and will involve a detailed assessment by one of our registered physiotherapists followed by a treatment session. Subsequent treatment sessions will be 30 minutes to an hour long depending upon your condition.
4. Do you have pelvic physiotherapists who can see both female and male patients?
Yes, our pelvic physiotherapists at Triangle Physiotherapy Oakville see all genders and sexes.
5. Do you provide biofeedback at your clinic?
Yes, we do have a biofeedback machine at our clinic. It is used to help patients with pelvic muscle dysfunction learn to contract and relax the muscles of the pelvic floor muscles correctly by providing It can be a very useful tool for treating conditions like prolapse and urinary incontinence.